Monday 11 June 2012

hmm: Quality vs Quantity

I was devastated towards the end of my maternity leaves. I wanted to quit the rat race and become a homemaker. I wanted to start my own online business. I wanted to start my own bakery. I wanted to start buying lottery tickets. Maybe, just maybe I would strike it big and be able to quit work. Anything as long as I get to stay with lil' muachi.

The closer I was to going back office, the gloomier I became. I was a bitter person. Resentment towards work was an understatement.

My mind was busy willing my company to fold when one night, GOTH's friend (who is a stay at home mum) visited.

Here's how she changed my mindset.

GOTH's friend : Going back work soon?
LMM : yeah (grumpily)
GOTH's friend : I know how you feel
LMM : oh puhlease (thinking to myself)
GOTH's friend : I stay home with my kids all day and yet I feel like I dont spend enough time with them. You go out to work but when you get home, you get to spend quality time with them. That is better.

That night, that was what hit me - Quality over quantity.

I'm not sure if this is what working mothers used to feel better about the fact that for a huge chunk of the day, we are away from our bubs.

But it worked for me.

Once I'm home, I spend my evenings/nights with lil' muachi. We go for walks. I give her baths. We read books. We play silly games. 

And seriously, why am I going to work in the first place? It's for this little person.



1 comment:

  1. That's quite a paradigm shift. Very good advice indeed

    ReplyDelete