Tuesday 11 September 2012

chicken pox remedies

Now that everything is back to normal and I'm no longer covered in fugly spots. I will now share what worked wonders for me (but perhaps I got lucky and had a mild case).

First off, how do you identify pox? When you see something that looks like a burn wound (with watery bubble and all), especially if there's a few of them: alarms should be ringing. The sure sign that you have caught the pox is when the pimply looking things start to multiply. The other symptoms are fever and perhaps some dizziness. That was what I had when I decided to go to see a Dr. 

My Dr prescribed an antiviral pill for me which I took 5 times a day for about 8 days. It tasted a bit funky so make sure you swallow it whole immediately and not let it linger which will allow it to melt in your mouth. yuck.  



He also sent me home with some antibiotics. In a form of both cream and pills. And also panadol for my fever.

Once I was safely confined in a room, advice started pouring in. Here's what I learnt and did or did not do.
1) Do not take chicken or eggs or seafood - I avoided this and I was definitely less itchy

2) Mix Bedak Sejuk and neem leaves together. Just blend the neem leaves with some water, put some bedak sejuk, bit of water and mix until it looks like paste. Put it on top of your pox. This is super awesome. It reduces the itch and also speeds up the drying process of the pox.



3) I was also advised to sleep on the neem leaves; which I tried as GOTH's mum plucked a whole bunch for me. It was definitely cooler. 

4) Coconut juice. I drank bucket loads. It's suppose to either cool you off or flush out the toxins. It is suppose to be good for pox regardless.

5) Instead of soap, I used Pinetarsol. It's an Australian product. You just spray it on, wait a few minutes, then wash off. You can also use it on rash, insect bites, sunburn. I suppose it's a medicated gentle wash. Again, it does not smell all too pleasant. 



I'm not too sure whether it's a combination of all of the above or one of the products were really effective; but I was definitely less itchy (than what I think I was supposed to be anyways).

The master of all advice for chicken pox -> do NOT scratch..

No comments:

Post a Comment