Monday 10 September 2012

Lactating Paddings

It just occurred to me that we are not only first time mothers raising a bub, we are first time mothers who just gave birth and experiencing all things new to us.

I've decided in this blog, I will also write about things useful to new mothers. I was really clueless at the start. I wasn't sure what I needed. I wasn't sure what was out there. I would stare at an item for a long time wondering what it was for and how it worked.

So...along the topic of breastfeeding (re: earlier post on the silicon shield), this post is about "padding". 

When you are lactating, you do tend to leak at times. Especially when you are full and are unable to pump immediately. There are extra padding available that you can purchase and slip into your bras.



There are a variety of padding out there - disposable and non disposable ones. For me, I went with the non-disposable selection. I have tried three different types and brands.

LMM Advice: You need to choose the one with the best absorbent material. I am not too sure what it is made of. But it is not wholly cotton. It is pricier but the advantages are worth it;
1) it comes in its own little bag which is very handy when you throw these little things in the machine. 
2) it does not leak
3) it dries up faster (this is super useful when the weather is not exactly made for laundry)



The cotton ones normally comes in a pack of 3s. They are cheaper but they do not soak as well. What I did however, was to double pad it. You can always remove the "wet" ones and use the second pad if necessary. 

I would avoid getting the real thick ones. You are probably thinking the thicker it is, the more it will be able to absorb. Yes it does hold better than the thinner cotton ones but bear in mind, it is thicker and heavier (also hotter). It also takes ages to dry up after wash. I would still go with the light absorbent ones or double pad the thinner ones.

So there you have it. Things that I wouldn't have thought of either until I had to go through it personally.

No comments:

Post a Comment